Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Date Night

I know I said this blog would be all rainbows and sunshine (wait... did I say that?), but I just have to say... I hate Hockey.
No... I don't hate it. I enjoy the Play Offs. When our Home team is in them. Otherwise, sigh... no.
This week I actually suggested to my husband that we take advantage of some free tickets to a game and go, with the idea that it would be 'Date Night', which we haven't had in eons. I actually just want to get out of the house, sans kids, with my husband, and as is obvious from my previous statements I'M SO DESPERATE THAT I WILL CALL HOCKEY A "DATE".
My husband has been out a few times with friends, and a few of those times they've ended up in places getting their beer on in places that I used to hang out. Can you read the jealousy oozing out from that previous sentence? Then he will often text me, the texts getting harder and harder to understand the more beer they consume and the more autocorrect takes over... and often I am already in bed. Not asleep, mind you. I'm most likely awake because my 10 month old has either just been up for the 2nd or 3rd time to nurse and I'm just waiting it out until the next baby cry or text. So, yeah. I'm jealous.
I don't want it to turn into resentment. I love my husband. Looooove him. He's a great dad, and a great husband, and just an all around great person. But lately, I've been getting really annoyed at tiny things. Things I should just let go. And he is I think sensing that and being less affectionate. I'm not talking about sex, I mean things like kisses on the way out the door. Of course, it could be that I'm just sleep-deprived and I'm actually hallucinating this, but either way, we've got to nip it in the bud.
Fast forward to after our hockey "date"; two heroin beers, one bag of popcorn and two packs of beef jerky later, and the thing I realized is that a packed hockey area isn't really the best spot to have a relationship talk. If you think your husband gets annoyed when you try to bring things up in the middle of a televised hockey game, wait until the hockey is in 4D! Not. So, we didn't get much resolved, although I will admit that being at an actual game is more interesting than watching on tv. I kept referring to it as being like a "Broadway show!" (eg. the lights, the music, the costumes, er... uniforms), which you would think would irk a hockey-loving guy, but I think he was just happy I was getting into it. Plus, he's seen Billy Eliot. Same thing, right?
Even though we didn't get to hash out any issues that night, I did have an epiphone. During and after the game I saw how happy my husband was, and because he was happy, he was in turn affectionate. He was actually just happy to be spending time with me, which in the end is what I wanted. All that being said, we still planned another Date Night (this time with a romantic meal with wine and a movie afterwards) that was more in tuned to what I usually consider Good Times. And it was! So I guess this post was about the good stuff, afterall.

No comments:

Post a Comment